Sir John Evans (17 November 1823 - 31 May 1908) was an English archaeologist and geologist.
Evans was the son of the Rev. Dr A. B. Evans, head master of Market Bosworth Grammar School, and was born at Britwell Court, Buckinghamshire. He was for many years head of the extensive paper manufactory of Messrs John Dickinson at Nash Mills, Hemel Hempstead, but was especially distinguished as an antiquary and numismatist.
He was the author of three books, standard in their respective departments: The Coins of the Ancient Britons (1864); The Ancient Stone Implements, Weapons and Ornaments of Great Britain (1872); and The Ancient Bronze Implements, Weapons and Ornaments of Great Britain and Ireland (1881). He also wrote a number of separate papers on archaeological and geological subjects notably the papers on Flint Implements in the Drift communicated in 1860 and 1862 to Archaeologia, the organ of the Society of Antiquaries. Of that society he was president from 1885 to 1892, and he was president of the Numismatic Society from 1874 to the time of his death. He also presided over the Geological Society, 1874 - 1876; the Anthropological Institute, 1877 - 1879; the Society of Chemical Industry, 1891 - 1893; the British Association, 1897 - 1898; and for twenty years (1878 - 1898) he was treasurer of the Royal Society.
As president of the Society of Antiquaries he was an ex officio trustee of the British Museum, and subsequently he became a permanent trustee. His academic honors included honorary degrees from several universities, and he was a corresponding member of the Institut de France. He was created a KCB in 1892.
He died at Berkhamsted in 1908. His eldest son was Sir Arthur Evans, curator of the Ashmolean Museum and excavator of Minoan Crete.